Part time Organiser / Coach – Eton Fives – Berkshire and Thames Valley
Be the first Regional Organiser in the EFA’s FiveStar programme
Eton Fives has been played regularly at St. Bartholomew’s School in Newbury for many years, particularly since new courts were built there in 2013. A Sunday morning club run by volunteers involving both pupils and adults has been running for the last five years, and during the last year a Thursday evening club for adults only has also started up.
In order to meet the increasing demand, the Eton Fives Association (EFA) has decided to appoint a paid Regional Organiser to develop Eton Fives at the school and the adjoining region (the Thames Valley).
The aim is to establish the school courts as a facility for the local community. This will involve enhancing Eton Fives opportunities for pupils and local players, and attracting new players (e.g. staff from local employers, pupils and staff from state and independent schools, universities/colleges and sports clubs) to play regularly at the school courts.
This is a freelance role for 20 hours per week, and the remit includes developing Eton Fives generally within the Thames Valley region.
The EFA aims for this to be at least a two-year project. Funds have been raised to pay a part-time Regional Organiser for the first year, with plans in place to raise an equivalent amount for the following year.
Overall purpose of the job:
- To increase regular and sustainable footfall on the school courts and establish them as a hub for the local community.
- To investigate the recruitment of new cohorts of players from the locality, in particular local employers and Reading University.
- To facilitate the building of further Eton Fives courts within the Region where there is a demand.
- To set up a local club around the Winchester Fives courts at Bradfield College with their permission, and to restart the playing of Winchester Fives by the pupils at the College.
- To restart the weekend Eton Fives club at The Royal Grammar School High Wycombe, being the nearest Eton Fives-playing School to St. Bartholomew’s School.
- To carry out direct coaching of new recruits and existing players as needed.
- An enthusiastic Eton Fives, Rugby/Winchester Fives or Wallball player
- Good organisational skills
- Good coaching skills for children and adults
- Highly proactive, imaginative and resilient in the face of difficulties
- Good people skills
- Full DBS certificate (the EFA can apply for this if not current)
- Flexible for working evenings and weekends.
This rewarding role is an opportunity to make a real difference to the Eton Fives community in the region, and to blaze a trail for others to follow. The position offers autonomy and responsibility, as well as flexible working hours.